Connect with laundry experts

Register for a Free or Premium membership now

Learn about the laundry industry

Read valuable content to build your business

Expand your laundry business

Classified Postings are free for Premium members

Join Now Login Advertise Payment

The Laundromat Success Programâ„¢ helps you create a detailed plan to completely protect all aspects of your laundromat business.

Tell them Coinwash.com sent you...

Please tell them Coinwash.com sent you....

Go Back   Coinwash The key to a successful Laundromat Business. > COINWASH.COM

Old 06-01-2005, 11:35 AM
anonymous
"site-seer"

Default Who are the best/worst potential employees?

To those of you who have had success in hiring what were some of the factors that made you hire an employee?

Was it experience and background?
Did anyone do a history check (call previous employers)?
Has anyone ever hired someone on a temporary/provisional basis?
Did the applicants age or family role (mother, childless, etc) play a role?

Could those who have had terrible experiences please chime in? The time is approaching for me to hire someone on a part-time basis and I would like to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks all,
Toto
Old 06-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Anonymous
"site-seer"

I have found the best bet to be to have the current employees bring me candidates. These are generally people that they know and will work well. This approach has served me very well with no problem employees.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:16 PM

I have have had lots of employees, some good, some bad and some terrible. This is opinion: The best part-time employee is someone who is not the "breadwinner" in the family. They don't want full-time work, just some hours to make extra money, and have something to do. At the interview tell the prospective employee that this is a "cleaning job". Repeat at least 5 times. Ask if they will clean washers, floors, restrooms, anything that gets dirty. Make sure they will work nights and weekends. Remind them that this is NOT a sit and watch TV job, or a talk on the phone job, or a have friends and family visit job, or a stand outside and smoke job, or a sit on the stool and eat all day job... IT IS A CLEANING JOB! If you think you want to hire them, don't do it at the first interview. Tell the applicant to call you (or return) at a very specific time to let you know their level of interest in the job. I have had several applicants that I thought I would hire, but they didn't call back. All employees are hired on a 30 day provisional basis. That's 30 work days, not 30 calendar days. It is my understanding that an employee can be let go during the first 30 days without being eligible for unemployment compensation. I tell everyone that if they are dishonest, they will be terminated. Or if I have to come and work their shift, they might not still have a job.

Be careful hiring several members of the same family. Theft is much easier if there is collusion. Also, if they have a family squabble, it will be brought to the laundromat.

I agree that the best source for employees is current employees' referrals.

I feel that the best long term employee is someone who feels that this job is the best job she has ever had. Overqualified people who are just looking for "work" usually don't work out.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Anonymous
"site-seer"

Very good point on the cleaning aspect of things. Not sure if I agree on the family part from experience. I have had two employees with family member that helped out part-time. It worked out very well in that if one could not be there the others would cover so there was never a problem about an employee not being able to work. Your issue of theft could be an issue, but as long as you have good controls in place you should be ok.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:43 PM
Premium Member

Winston makes geat points, I post a help wanted sign on the coin changer, and take numbers from people from time to time who ask about a job. I have fired help after they worked (or lack of ) after 1 day. Be sure to ask if they have a ss card, this will weed out those who don't want to work becuase they have claims eleswhere, such as waiting on medicare or SS disability cases in the works.
The call back is something I forgot about. Yes, it is a cleaning job!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:04 PM

My latest trick is to have a multi-step process for hiring:

1- They have to fill out an application in person

2 - They have to show up at a set time for an interview

3- If they make it that far, they to show up for a training session

4- They have to show up for work.

This has cut down tremendously on the no shows or those that say they really want to work, but really don't. If someone is lazy or has other issues, I would rather find out before they start.

This method is not foolproof, but it has worked better than anything else I've tried to date.

I'm all ears if anyone else has creative ideas!

As far as unemployent eligibility goes, it differs by state. In NJ, they have to earn over $103 for 13 or 26 weeks (I forget which). However, I had someone claim unemployment that "worked" for 2 days. It took me 6 months to clear it up. Your tax dollars at work!!

The family thing has worked out really well for me. The matriarch keeps everyone else in line and, as Kirby pointed out, they cover for each other so I don't have to. I have had as many as 3 people from 1 family on the payroll at any one time.

The only place where there is a control issue is with WDF and I have my schedule set up so that it would be hard to pull off much of a scam. I think if you have people working for you that are predisposed to criminal activity, it would be hard to stop them completely - family or not.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

Always have the employee sign the job description at time of employment determining the expectations. I stated that there was a 30-60-90 probationary period before they were determined a permanent hire. Detail your expectations and do not expect anything less than what the employee agrees to

Always do back ground checks, check reference and former employers. Take no chances.

Coinwash.com Bulletin Board,
“We are the most used
Laundromat Bulletin Board on the NET.”

Please visit the Sponsors who Support Coinwash.com

----------------------------------
Everything expressed here
is not necessarily the opinion of
Coinwash Corp. (Coinwash.com),
Sponsors, or this Webserver.

Last edited by Kitty; 06-01-2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:14 PM
anonymous
"site-seer"

Thanks all for your great ideas.

Toto