Connect with laundry experts

Register for a Free or Premium membership now

Learn about the laundry industry

Read valuable content to build your business

Expand your laundry business

Classified Postings are free for Premium members

Join Now Login Advertise Payment

The Laundromat Success Programâ„¢ helps you create a detailed plan to completely protect all aspects of your laundromat business.

Please tell them Coinwash.com sent you....

LaundryParts.com
Old 06-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Kari
"site-seer"

Fire a long term employee

Okay, I have taken everyone's advice and will fire the employee that has been here for 11 years.

She has to go no questions asked. We are in a VERY small town of about 2K people so everyone knows everything that is going on. This employee is hispanic and is also an assistant pastor. Apparently she is already looking for another job. The word of the town is that her church and all the hispanics in the area will be boy cotting us once she is gone.

REAL CHRISTIAN LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

95% of our customer base is hispanic.

Should I really be that worried - We are just about to expand our building/business so now I am a little concerned.

Is there anything else I can do other than just talk to my customers?

We got this type of threat once her mother Quit "The church is going to boy cott you". But once the mother was gone. Everyone thanked us for getting rid of her. We had to explain that we did not get rid of her she quit. I did not want people think I came in a fired some old hispanic lady that had been here for about 10 years.

Any advice would be much appriciated
Old 06-22-2004, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Every employee is replaceable. There may be slight talk, may be sympathy for the employee but that will not change the traffic of the business. It is a fact of life that repeats itself many times. You do what you must do for the sake and well being of your business. Part ways, and don't look back.

During my tenure the wdf attendants retired after 17 years of employment. There was some positives for their departures, but also some aprehension to their leave. There was an adjustment period, but replacements were made and they are still employed after 6 years. You can recruit the replacement with someone easily, keep your eyes peeled. ITs easy to snag service workers that you see have potential.

Coinwash.com Bulletin Board,
“We are the most used
Laundromat Bulletin Board on the NET.”

Please visit the Sponsors who Support Coinwash.com

----------------------------------
Everything expressed here
is not necessarily the opinion of
Coinwash Corp. (Coinwash.com),
Sponsors, or this Webserver.

Last edited by Kitty; 06-22-2004 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:28 PM
anonymous
"site-seer"

I would have a dynamic promotion. People will get over hard feelings quickly if they get something free or on sale. I might have a customer appreciation weekend, cheap wash or free dry and free barbeque. Set up a Weber grill in front of the store cook up some ribs, burgers, burrittos and have some fun. One person dosen't rule the town, don't assume someones reputation and loyalty are that strong. Show'em that you're a decent and fair person and you'll be the winner. Don't wait too long, strike first and nullify any momentum of the opposition.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Head Administrator

You don't have to explain why you fired this person to anyone.
The smart thing to do is to KEEP you mouth closed and no matter how hard it maybe for you don't say anything. This is your business and you don't have to answer to anyone.

Please visit the Sponsors who Support Coinwash.com

----------------------------------
Everything expressed here
is not necessarily the opinion of
Coinwash Corp. (Coinwash.com),
Sponsors, or this Webserver.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Premium Member

smartcard and coinwash gave great advice!!

forget about threats. Maybe her close friends may boycott you for a short period untill they need to do the wash, if she is bad mouthing you all over town she will look like an idiot and nobody will jump on her bandwagon.
Forget about her, don't talk about her, get on with your life!!
Old 06-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

Her replacement should be hispanic,

that will eliminate the possible charges of racism,

(and a sensible move, seeing as how 95%
of your customer base is hispanic)

If she was the assistant pastor, perhaps you could hire the pastor :-)

I have a rainbow staff.

I do not believe in descrimination, but if my customers do not like who they see, they can come back tomorrow.
I do not let anyone work 2 days in a row.

Last edited by mike; 06-23-2004 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Anonymous
"site-seer"

Kari-

How much per hour did you pay the old employee? Will you start the new employee at the same rate?
Old 06-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Kari
"site-seer"

She was paid about 9 dollars and hour. If, I replaced her I would start the new person off at less.

She works during the week days when it is very slow, so we are thinking about going unattended for those hours. It is busy in the early moring and after 4:00 pm. Those are the only times we really need anyone in there.

I do not beleive in descrimintation either. It just happens that the two hispanic empoyees that I had (who were both here about 11 years) I have had nothing but isssues with. But they were also mother and daughter so maybe it was something that ran in the family.

Thanks for all the advice. I am getting on with life.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Anonymous
"site-seer"

Kari-

I was thinking. You mentioned in a different thread that you do about 4700 lbs of WD&F each month....and that you're about to raise your prices $.10/lb. That means an incremental $470 each month.

Would you consider paying the new employee rock bottom hourly ($6/hr) + incentives? The incentives could be based on:
Attitude - Does she accept and act on management's coaching?
Customer Service - Does she pay proper attention to your walk-in customers?
Mat Cleanliness - Is the mat always clean?
WD&F Productivity - Does she get the work done?
Any other.......

Set a target and pay it monthly. Maybe with incentives, she could get to $9/hr.....but only if she's doing the job the way YOU want it done. In any case, it would give you a once-a-month reason to talk about performance, etc.

Just a thought. I've been toying with the idea, but I have 5 part-timers, working different hours/shifts, and I haven't arrived at just the right solution to make it work.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:31 PM

I believe you said you were very hands-on. You may already know one of your customers who would be willing to work for you. All you have to do is ask. Hopefully, you both are bilingual.

If your establishment is the nicest one in the area, I wouldn't worry about a boycott. Like I say about my competition, "they are good for my business". A smile and a helping hand go a long way instilling loyalty in your customers.