Service Manuals Testimonials Multimedia Editorials Archives Payments Sponsors Join Now! Advertise Contact Us Domains For Sale

The Laundromat Success Program™ helps you create a detailed plan to completely protect all aspects of your laundromat business.

Go Back   Coinwash The key to a successful Laundromat Business. > COINWASH.COM -

Old 05-31-2003, 03:00 PM
Anonymous-3
"site-seer"

Default W184 installation

I have a question about installing a W184 washer in my may.

I am in the process of extending my mat to include a W184 washer. This washer will be replacing the space of 2 W74's. All of the washers are on a 10" high concrete base (plus 4" for the floor itself).

I have a full basement and there is a steel beam that runs under all of the washers (under the wood joists) with steel comumns. There are a couple of angled concrete columns under the base but I am not sure why they are there. My mother bought the place originally in 1984. It was an abandoned laundromat. I am assuming that the W174's were the giants of the time and were placed above these angled concrete columns.

I am concerned with the tourque & vibration from the spin cycle. My mechanic was telling me that I should install another vertical column under the W184 to brace the machine.

Any opinions are welcomed

Vinny
Old 05-31-2003, 03:17 PM
Anonymous
"site-seer"

They were put there to try and secure the upper floor to the lower one. Wascomat doesn't recommend that these washers get installed on an upper floor. The concrete columns were probably put there to help stabilize the upper floor, as the floor was probably shaking. I have seen this work if it's done properly. I would think it would be a good idea to use the same columns for the W184.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:30 PM
Anonymous
"site-seer"

My wascomat dealer installed this way in my store and in many other stores I know of, so I find it hard to believe that Wasco does not sanction such an installation. There is nothing wrong with it, and I have W245's installed this way with no vibration problems.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:41 PM
Anonymous
"site-seer"

They don't because of the chance that it may not be done properly. They want to see the person happy with the washers, and to have a vibration problem will obviously affect that. I'm not saying it won't work here, I'm just saying that they dont "recommend" that the washers be put on an upper floor. Ive seen plenty of installations that use this type of installation and it works well. I have also seen a bunch of ones that didn't and caused grief for the owner because it wasn't done right.

Sounds like I work for Wascomat.......hmmm.

Kevin
Old 05-31-2003, 03:53 PM
Anonymous-3
"site-seer"

So should I go ahead with installing another concrete column at an angle right below the W184?

I am a contractor by trade so any work could be done and I know that it will be done properly.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:56 PM
Anonymous
"site-seer"

If you dont, there may be vibrations. If you do it, you cut the chances dramatically that you will have any problems. If I was doing this, I would be putting in the column under the W184.

Kevin
Old 05-31-2003, 04:15 PM
Anonymous-3
"site-seer"

Default KT40

Any particular direction?

The existing ones are set up approx. at the 1/3 points. The 1st one goes from the floor up towards 7:00. The 2nd one goes from the floor up towards 1:00.

l
O O l
1st 2nd l

What direction should this new one go? This is approx. where the W184 will go above

O O O l
new 1st 2nd
----------------------------------- - steel beam

Vinny
Old 05-31-2003, 04:58 PM
SudsMan
"site-seer"

JSV... since you're in the business, why not talk with one of the Professional Engineers (PE) that you work with? I'll bet they wouldn't charge much to do an analysis of the existing installation, what to do to upgrade it, and to identify any unique aspects of the job. The one thing I know for sure, is that that frequency and magnitude of any vibrations coming from any source must be taken into account when desiging any sort of vibration damper. If things aren't done correctly, it is actually possible to create a standing wave such that the vibrations are actually amplified! Tis true...
Old 05-31-2003, 05:35 PM
Anonymous_01
"site-seer"

Kevin (KT-40), You wouldn't work in Inwood ,NY would you?
Old 05-31-2003, 06:30 PM
Anonymous
"site-seer"

I guess you got me. A caller of mine told me about this board, and out of curiosity I joined. I figured why not. It's good to hear feedback both good and bad, and if I can make a difference to improve things, I will. I figured this would be a good place to learn a little, as well as help out those who need it on a different forum. I will try and answer as much as I can, but please realize that I have a day job, and cannot answer from there. I will however, try and help out when I can.

So to answer you.....yes this is Kevin.....Service tech at Wascomat.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:06 PM
Tech Head

Default colums -W184 Kevin and JVS

Hi Kevin, I had a feeling that kt40 was you. Tell Jamie I said to have a cup of cappuccino on me. Bernie"s got all the bagles !!!

For JVS's questions about the colums, in addition to the information from Kevin, The colums should be at a slight angle and be a monolithic poor of 4,000 lb concerte mix. They are ment to hold the machine DOWN, NOT UP. When the machine goes into extract, the machines inertia will lift it up. I received an emergency call serveral years ago from a customer who was new to the bussiness. He said his machines had fallen over and he had a flood. Upon arrival at the location, I found a bank of three 35 pound unimacs lying on their doors with an 8 inch thick concrete pad stoll bolted to them. The machines stopped running when they riped out their power cords and hoses. The concrete pad was poured onto the floor and supported by steel posts to HOLD IT UP.
There is a certain skill to building these pads. Most masons I've come across do not really understand what's involved. In your situation, the key word above is MONOLITHIC. You need to attach the concrete pad to the colom as one unit.
Hope this helps, Tony T
Old 05-31-2003, 07:14 PM
Anonymous
"site-seer"

Wuz up Tony.......matter of fact I think I figured out who you were after reading the first post I saw from you. Your the only Tony I can think of from NJ.....so....am I right???????

BTW.....I agree totally about your comments about the columns.

Kevin
Old 05-31-2003, 07:32 PM
Anonymous_01
"site-seer"

Kevin, welcome aboard.... with you and Tony both here it will make this board a real winner. So Kevin shouldn't you get paid extra for tech support after hours? LOL This move with you being hear should help prove a point us Wasco lovers have been trying to prove, that Wasco's support is second to none and you guys will go beyond the call of duty with support for your machines even after the warranty is gone. Dexter, Huebsch,IPSO, Maytag lovers take note.

Now if we can get a ADC tech aboard it will be fantastic!

Kevin, you the man!
Old 05-31-2003, 07:38 PM
Tech Head

Default Kevin....yes

I'm trying to get together with Noel and Marc to take a better look at the "new version." See you then... Again, Thanks for the information. Tony Tab.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:41 PM
Anonymous
"site-seer"

No comment about the pay thing....LOL Thank you for the kind words though. As I said before........I will do my best to help. Realize that the reason I'm posting a bit right now and in the past week, is due to the fact that I was on vacation. I will be in here checkin' out to see if I can help you guys out.

Thanks again.....We do our best!!!!!

Kevin