Service Manuals Testimonials Multimedia Editorials Archives Payments Sponsors Join Now! Advertise Contact Us Domains For Sale

The Laundromat Success Programâ„¢ helps you create a detailed plan to completely protect all aspects of your laundromat business.

Go Back   Coinwash The key to a successful Laundromat Business. > COINWASH.COM -

Old 10-22-2011, 03:13 PM

Default Customer leaving laundry in dryers 24 hr

We have one customer that comes in leaves her laundry in the washers, comes back 4-5 hours later. Puts laundry in the dryers and doesn't come back until the next afternoon. Any ideas how to deter this behavior? She does it when we are at our busiest too.

Cheryl
Suds Laundromat, LLC
www.sudslaundromat-Derby.com

Coinwash Premium Member
Why don't you sign up today?
Old 10-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Head Administrator

Ok this is easy -Do you have a signs up saying;

Then take them out and put them in a basket wet/or dry...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg remove_001.jpg (29.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg remove_002.jpg (16.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg remove_003.jpg (32.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg remove_004.jpg (33.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg remove_005.jpg (16.5 KB, 12 views)

Please visit the Sponsors who Support Coinwash.com

----------------------------------
Everything expressed here
is not necessarily the opinion of
Coinwash Corp. (Coinwash.com),
Sponsors, or this Webserver.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:19 PM

We have the signs. Problem is, she has so much laundry, we filled up 4 of our 10 carts the first time. Now we watch to see which machines she is using and try to pile it all in one cart. Just taking up space on Saturday and Sunday. Her wet laundry has been sitting here since at least 3:00. We close at 7:00 today, it is now 5:30.

Cheryl
Suds Laundromat, LLC
www.sudslaundromat-Derby.com

Coinwash Premium Member
Why don't you sign up today?
Old 10-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Head Administrator

Put them in the back of your store and make her/him ask for them.

Tell them you're doing them a favor...

----

Please visit the Sponsors who Support Coinwash.com

----------------------------------
Everything expressed here
is not necessarily the opinion of
Coinwash Corp. (Coinwash.com),
Sponsors, or this Webserver.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Anonymous_2
"site-seer"

I get people like that too occasionally. I take it out of the machine and put it in a basket, wet or dry if the machines are needed. When they come back I tell them that they can't leave their laundry there all day, that they have to be back when the machine finishes because other people wanna use it. And that I won't keep taking it out and holding it for them until they feel like coming back, so they don't use me as a butler. Either they do it all, or I do it all with WDF service. There is no in between. I won't even do transfer service because they'll just let it sit there all day.

Some people leave 10 loads (out of my 18) like that and I don't have enough baskets or space for that, nor is it my job to handle their laundry if they're paying only the self service price. I'm only partially attended in the summer so I wanna stop any of their bad habits immediately.

I like to give them an example: "Do you fill up with gas at a gas station and then walk away for 2 hours leaving your car there in front of the pump? No! People are waiting to use the machines!"

Some people understand right away, others agree, but do it again next week, so I tell them again and then I tell them again next time after that BEFORE they start doing their laundry. If they would keep doing it where it seriously affects other customers, I wouldn't let them start the machines and ask them to come back when they are ready to complete it all at once. It hasn't happened yet, I know they will go elsewhere, but they're crippling my operation. It pisses off other regular customers who may consider a competitor. I would treat them as someone damaging the machines, because it's like having machines out of order.

I have to admit that I did the same thing before I owned a laundromat. I went grocery shopping in the mean time. I didn't even know how long exactly the machine ran for. It just didn't matter to me. I knew it would be dry when I came back. I thought that since I put money in the machine that I am renting it until I'm done with it. It never even crossed my mind that it may be so busy that others may need it. Never even thought about it. When the guy told me, it surprised me and I stopped doing it. It's necessary to tell them every time to stop the habit from developing.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:07 PM

We all encounter this at one time or another. It is one thing to run to the store or do an errand but when they are left for hours you just have to lay down the law.

I had a young lady once believe it was fine to come in and load up my only (2) 50 pound washers at 8am and come back after work at 5pm to put them in the dryer.

I politely took her 2 steps out the front door and pointed to the dumpster at the end of the parking lot and told her the next time she left her clothes all day don't even bother to come in the store that the clothes would be in the dumpster.

Some people have no respect for others and have no idea what is going on in the rest of the world. It's all about them.

Don't worry about weeding out a few people to make it a better place for the rest of your customers.

I am polite the first time.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, dilemma ;-(

I agree with what has been said, but be gentle.......

and get plastic baskets for the left laundry if it is only a couple of clients.

Be NICE,

the fact is that these people can leave their clothes in an UNattended store,

and no one knows. (warn them about theft)

You don't want the un-attended store to have ANY "advantage" that you don't.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

I usually have enough carts and tables and bulkheads to pile up abandoned laundry. Sometimes it needs to be bagged to get it to stay on the bulkhead.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:20 PM

We take the clothes out and put them in a cart. At the end of the day they are bagged and sealed (wet or dry), and put in the back room. We hold them for 2 weeks, then dispose of them. If anyone complains about the condition of the clothes, they are asked if they would prefer to have them spread onto a folding table in front of one of the machines, and left for anyone to take what they want.

It's amazing to me that if one tiny spot is on an article of clothing after wash/dry a customer will complain, want a free rewash or payment for the "brand new" clothing. At the same time other customers will wash a full 60 lb load, dry the load, and NEVER COME BACK. Go figure...
Old 10-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
We take the clothes out and put them in a cart.
I won't tie-up a cart.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I won't tie-up a cart.
I find the most poorly utilized horizontal surface in my laundromat is the bulkhead [covering the pipes and conduits behind the washers]. 2nd most poorly utilized horizontal surface is that portion of the floor underneath the folding tables.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuboisLaundry View Post
I find the most poorly utilized horizontal surface in my laundromat is the bulkhead [covering the pipes and conduits behind the washers]. 2nd most poorly utilized horizontal surface is that portion of the floor underneath the folding tables.
On top of my bulkheads are where the baskets with "left" laundry sit.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:41 PM

Default Bag it and date it

Every now and again, I get a customer leaving clothes in a Dryer or Washer. If the machine is needed and other customers are waiting, I will remove it and place it in a bag. When they return, they are usually upset because their clothes are missing. I politely explain that other customers are waiting to use the machine, so I had to remove them and return their clothes. Usually, this calms them down when they get their clothes back. I also have a sign which states that any clothes left in a machine will be removed if left unattended.

My bigger problem is, about once a week, somebody will just leave their clothes. I just bag it and date it. After 3 or 4 days, they are just donated to somebody in need.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phebous View Post
Every now and again, I get a customer leaving clothes in a Dryer or Washer. If the machine is needed and other customers are waiting, I will remove it and place it in a bag. When they return, they are usually upset because their clothes are missing. I politely explain that other customers are waiting to use the machine, so I had to remove them and return their clothes. Usually, this calms them down when they get their clothes back. I also have a sign which states that any clothes left in a machine will be removed if left unattended.

My bigger problem is, about once a week, somebody will just leave their clothes. I just bag it and date it. After 3 or 4 days, they are just donated to somebody in need.
My complaint, is that when they leave the clothes in the washer,

we have to dry them before we bag them,

so they don't get moldy and mildewy :-(

and sometimes they NEVER come back,

so we are "out" the dry money... ;-((
Old 10-30-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
My complaint, is that when they leave the clothes in the washer,

we have to dry them before we bag them,

so they don't get moldy and mildewy :-(

and sometimes they NEVER come back,

so we are "out" the dry money... ;-((
When I first bought my mat I use to waste my gas and time and dry the clothes before bagging them.
Now I just bag them and leave the top open
If they start growing something funky before someone claims them, not my problem.

99% of the time no one returns