PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone like Stainless Steel?

anonymous
03-30-2005, 11:09 PM
I've got 3 month old SQ front loaders that look like they are five years old. As good as my attendants are, they can only be in so many places at once and wipe down only so much - especially during our peak weekend periods.

We have a large Hispanic following that use Suavatel fabric softener. There is something in this stuff that seems to eat through metal. The tops of my machines look dingy - with shadows and dark spots that just don't go away with stainless cleaner - that is until today.

I stopped by NAPA this morning and picked up a bottle of Aluminum Brightener (Part #7651458). Holy cow - what a difference! I let the stuff sit for about a minute and wiped down with clean water. The stains disappeared and all the greasy build-up from stainless cleaner was removed.

Now we're back to the clean crisp look we are striving to achieve. Thanks for the help on this board for recommending this product!

Fishtown
03-31-2005, 09:19 AM
I just tried Shiela Shine and the results were outstanding. Could not find it locally but bought it on-line.
Andy

Anonymous
03-31-2005, 10:56 AM
Question for dzender......did you try Sheila Shine first? I'm trying to decide which is better to use to clean my dingy stainless steel machines.

anonymous
03-31-2005, 01:44 PM
I use shelia shine. I don't see it "cleaning" the stainless. All the stains and white stuff are still there. But it does give it a nice gloss finish that seems to last. But, I used it on some old SS Dryers and the lint/dust collected on the surface - it seemed to stick more.

I've used it side by side with Ball SS cleaner (Grainger part#2U428) and saw no difference between the two. I'm currently trying one out by DuraWax. So far it seems better than both.

Bob
04-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Thank you daender!! I just tried the Aluminum Brightener and WOW. I have only been in business for a year and the stains on the stainless steel washers have been my biggest headache. I have tried everything that has been suggested on this board and it seems like all they do is cover up the stains for a few days. This really CLEANS the stain. I got it at a True Value Hardware store.

Thanks again. I suggest that everyone use it.

Bob

Anonymous
04-09-2005, 01:41 PM
I use regular car wax on my machines. It cost less and works magnificently. It seems to repel water and softner well also. Just a quick wipe down with a damp cloth and rub over with a dry one. Cuts down on cleaning time.

voslaundromats
05-09-2005, 07:23 PM
I just read about the aluminum brightner & ran up to the local True Value Store & bought a bottle & went tried it............WOW!!!! I have had some of my Stainless Steel Maytags (unimacs) for about 10 years & this is the best they have looked in a long time. Gonna go buy another bottle tomorrow so I have it on hand. Now if they would just stay that way..........I WISH!!!!!! LOL

anonymous
11-05-2005, 10:56 PM
I've got 3 month old SQ front loaders that look like they are five years old. I stopped by NAPA this morning and picked up a bottle of Aluminum Brightener (Part #7651458). Holy cow - what a difference! I let the stuff sit for about a minute and wiped down with clean water. The stains disappeared and all the greasy build-up from stainless cleaner was removed.

Now we're back to the clean crisp look we are striving to achieve. Thanks for the help on this board for recommending this product!

is this product still in you're cleaning rutine??

Kitty
11-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Does she Sheila Shine have a website?

quartercounter
11-05-2005, 11:15 PM
http://www.parish-supply.com/sheila_shine.htm

Couldn't find a direct link but a few links that will direct ship

Anonymous 2
04-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Wow! I tested the NAPA Aluminum Wheel Cleaner on my worst looking stainless steel washer today, and I just can't believe the results. Nothing else removed the stains that this NAPA product just destroyed.
The worst looking machine is now the best looking machine in the place.
I ended up using a five step process:
1) Spray on the NAPA cleaner and scrub it with a Dobie cleaning pad - spray some more cleaner directly into the pad, and scrub some more.
2) Wipe off the residue with a cloth.
3) Go over the area with a water-soaked cloth to remove all traces of the cleaner.
4) Let the surface dry ... help it along with a dry cloth.
5) Finish with lemon oil (we use Wieman's Lemon Oil) to shine and protect.
This stuff is amazine!
Mungo

anonymous
04-22-2006, 06:46 PM
I too just tried the NAPA Aluminum Britener on one of my 25 year old Milnors last night. Took off 25 years of hard water an soap stains. The stainless looks like new. I have tried every thing I could think of on them and nothing worked. Will be having a cleaning party tonight.

Anonymous-3
04-23-2006, 01:37 PM
I used Sheila Shine for the first seven months we were open for business. I got it at a local restaurant supply store. It did okay, but it cost a lot. Then someone suggested I try baby oil on my machines for the daily cleaning. I like it better! It does every bit as good as the Sheila Shine for only a fraction of the cost. I now buy the generic or store brand of baby oil, no need to pay extra for the aloe formula from Johnson and Johnson. Like Sheila Shine, however, it does not get those stains out that are etched on by rocket fueled fabric softeners and bleach. But that's where the Aluminum Brightener stuff does great every six months or so.

John
libertylaundryok.com

Sunflower
05-04-2006, 03:22 PM
What about the tops of 13 yr old Wascomats. Forgive my newbie ignorance but could anyone tell me if they think this brightener by Napa might work on them?

I stopped by Napa this morning but the salesman said you better not use that aluminum brightener if you think your tops are chrome...?

I'm wondering if the metal on them is the same as the other models you all are discussing... THanks.

voslaundromats
05-04-2006, 09:25 PM
I just used some on my 15+ yo Wasco tops & it made them look great. They are not "chrome" they are stainless steel, which stil isn't aluminum, but the Napa Aluminum cleaner seems to work great on it. Just spray it on, wait about a minute & probly no longer than 2 minutes, & rinse it off good & dry it. If U still have some spots, try another coat, & rinse it good & dry it off, then use a good SS polish on it...good luck!!!

troy
05-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Some new dryers have a shiny stainless steel look for the inside of the drum. My dryers inside are old, dark. Anybody has any suggestions about painting the inside of drum for a stainless steel look.

I found some stainless steel Paint on the internet, but wonders if it work for dryer inside.

How about for the front panel of the wascomats?

Sunflower
05-08-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm looking into painting the fronts of my old wascomats. They are enamel I think.

By the way, a lite wiping with baby oil makes the front (black in my case) around the sticker, coin-mech and dials look much better!

Let me know if you find paint that works on the Wascomats!

kbc747
05-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Sunflower,
Take your fronts off and have a Auto repair shop paint them. Request Aircraft paint, it is expensive but works really well. Planes go from -40 to plus 120 in hours so the paint can handle almost anything. As for painting a dryer drum, no way, but if you want it to look better use a wire wheel on a drill and shine it that way. Also some drums are stainless steal, this may be what you have.

anonymous
05-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Keep in mind that the interior of washer or dryer are pretty harsh. factory finishes are usually a porcelan enamel, baked on, or they are just stainless steel. There is no such thing a stainless steel paint. Just finishes that simulate the look, and those finished do not do well in high heat or with abrasion.

You might polish what you have, by using a rubbing compound and a buffer. This will brighten and clean, but you must make absolutely certain that any residue from the buffing compound has been removed before putting the machine back into service or you will ruin customers fabrics. Such compounds are a wax based with an abrasive mixed in, and you charge the buffing cloth by rubbing it into the buffer. Some will transfer to what is being polished and this could cause problems if not throughly cleaned afterward.

Norm

troy
05-09-2006, 03:08 PM
The reason I asked about stainless paint, because I found this product: www.superior-industries.com/ss_316_product_33.html

I did not try it yet.

Sunflower
05-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Wow! That looks really neat!

anonymous
05-10-2006, 08:18 AM
If you or anyone else does try it, it would be great to have some one post the results here. Personnally, I don't think it woul do well but who knows?

Norm

kbc747
05-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Might be somthing to try in a dryer that is going to be replaced and see what happens?

Sunflower
05-13-2006, 08:49 AM
A guy told me if I want to clean my dingy dryer tumblers up that Easy Off cooking spray works GREAT!

I wonder if that Napa Auto Cleaner (see another post) would work...

fishmanz
05-14-2006, 06:10 AM
A guy told me if I want to clean my dingy dryer tumblers up that Easy Off cooking spray works GREAT!

I wonder if that Napa Auto Cleaner (see another post) would work...

I would question if an acid based product should be used inside a dryer basket. Unless you remove the basket and be sure you have cleaned all the residue off. Same with the oven cleaner stuff.

There is a high heat spray paint available at home centers made by Rustolium. I don't know if it could be used inside dryery though.

Sunflower
07-14-2006, 04:11 PM
Have any of you tried Turtlewax on your stainless steel/chrome/enamel machines to help keep water spots, softener, bleach and soap from penetrating your machines?

I read about using it at home on chrome on a housekeeping website.

Sunflower
07-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Why does everyone like Stainless Steel? Seems as if all the machines are now steel fronted and topped... What happened to baked enamel?

Wouldn't that be easier to clean?

pete f
07-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Baked enamal rusts. Stainleas just stains. MY personal idea is baked enamal is OK on dryers, but washers get to many chemicals thrown at them to surrive it over long term. Still,, stainless is not stainless. I have some washers 5 weeks old that have been ectched by some solvent a customer used cleaning his/her clothes. Stainless is stained.

anonymous
07-14-2006, 07:05 PM
SS always looks good. Walk into a 20 year old SS store and it looks good, walk into a 20 year old store with painted equipment and it looks like it is 30 yeas old.

anonymous
07-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Andy

What you say is somewhat true. 20 year old SS looks great. It however is not the same SS used today in quality. Todays SS looks great for the opening photo....

Sunflower

There is always talk about going back. From a customer stand point it makes much more sence as you can repaint when it looks too bad or old. I don't know that the change will come. It was my hope that durring the Retro Phase we would see one of the big manufactures try it on something other than a soft mount throwaway version and give it a good test. I for a number of years have had old Dexter almond washers that still look like the day they were put in.

anonymous
07-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Yes,the old SS looks great after 20 years ,the new one stain easy for some reason,I like SS in my store,I even have one SS folding table,it was made for food business.
Old Phico/Dexter front loader ?I had for a while ,I hate them.
I don't think any factory will make any retro looking machine,everyone want their laundromat look moden ,not look like 1960,if I want a retro looking machine,just buy a Milner,it has same look for 30 years.

Sunflower
07-15-2006, 01:20 AM
Hmm, I guess it's true what they say....

They don't make 'em like they used to!

pete f
07-15-2006, 05:55 PM
while sort of on the subject, and I know it has been brought up many times, has anyone used a commercial type buffer to clean their stainless equipment? I don't have the arm or time to shelia shine and that stuff really does not seem to work for me. I am considering a commercial buffer the car detailers use.

KJD
07-16-2006, 10:49 AM
while sort of on the subject, and I know it has been brought up many times, has anyone used a commercial type buffer to clean their stainless equipment? I don't have the arm or time to shelia shine and that stuff really does not seem to work for me. I am considering a commercial buffer the car detailers use.

I have a 12V 7" rechargeable buffer with dual battery packs (60 minute run time) I purchased from Advanced Auto parts. It sure has saved my arms as my rotator cuffs are simply worn out from 27 years in another profession.

Sunflower
07-16-2006, 01:27 PM

Pete,

I've been thinking about the same thing... Maybe some cheapy little battery powered buffer or something -- just to test... (Maybe eBay will have something...)

Also, I've been meaning to make a post about Turtle Wax. I saw it being used in household cleaning (faucets, etc.) for protection...

pete f
07-16-2006, 09:03 PM
I have a 12V 7" rechargeable buffer with dual battery packs (60 minute run time) I purchased from Advanced Auto parts. It sure has saved my arms as my rotator cuffs are simply worn out from 27 years in another profession.

That sounds just what I need, thanks! No cords make it that much better.

Sunflower
07-17-2006, 01:38 AM

Have you noticed that the buffer leaves swirlies on the steel or biffs your stickers?

I had a sample of a Kitchen-Aid stainless steal cleaner/polisher laying around so I tried it tonight. The directions said to put it on with one cloth and then wipe it off w/another. That was less than impressive BUT while chatting (as usual) I wiped on with one and wiped off with the same one. Viola. A million bucks! I wouldn't begin to say this stuff will get out etches (Napa cleaner is the way to go there...)

With no more effort than you'd put forth using Windex, I got streak/smudge free steel! The ingredients were mineral oil (baby oil) I think lanoline and something else... I will check to see if I can find it online.

Have no idea what the stuff costs. Anyway, it's less streaky than just plain mineral oil. It spreads more evenly. Lotion-like.

Sunflower
07-17-2006, 02:11 AM
Interesting article (PDF file)

http://www.ssina.com/view_a_file/cleaning.pdf

Bob
07-17-2006, 12:21 PM
I use Aluminum Brightener that I get from True Value Hardware. This stuff is great. Wipe it on and wipe it off. You won't believe it. It leaves the stainless looking it's best. I think that you would just be wasting your time if you try to use anything else.

Bob

TLR
07-19-2006, 11:45 AM
WD-40 is the best cleaner I have found. Try it on your soap scums - TLR

anonymous
07-20-2006, 09:25 AM
WD40 will also get ink and lipstick off your dryer drums.

aust1648
07-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Troy...You wrote in May

The reason I asked about stainless paint, because I found this product: http://www.superior-industries.com/s...roduct_33.html

I did not try it yet

Have you tried it yet? Does it work?